Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Fantasy Football: My Dynasties Through Week 11

Panthers Tangent

So yet another loss for the Panthers this week as we fell to the Ravens at home, a game notable more for who we were willing to start at QB (Brian St. Pierre, for those of you at home keeping score) than the actual game itself. As always, there are both positives and negatives to come from the game.

Positives (+)
  • Offensive Line: Our offensive line, a patchwork group if I've ever seen one, came out and fired off the ball with aggression, paving the way for a good day from Mike Goodson. I still think we need a mauler at RG going into 2011 as reserves Mack Bernadeau and Geoff Schwartz are not quite up to standard, but they remain valuable backups.
  • Mike Goodson: This kid continues to impress me. I think his performances over the past couple of weeks make DeAngelo Williams expendable at the end of the season. The Panthers love Williams as a player and as a person and want to reward him, but you can't ever be too greedy. I would like to see us franchise him and trade him to the highest bidder because he has a lot of good football left in him. Goodson played well against the Ravens and looks like he can carry the load necessary.
  • Pass Rush: Three sacks is more like the kind of weekly production I expect, and Charles Johnson has been playing lights out football recently. It was nice to see Everette Brown register a sack as well.
Negatives (-)
  • Secondary: Giving up big pass plays seems to be our forte all of a sudden. The touchdown to Houshmandzadeh was a breakdown in coverage and shouldn't be given up on the second play of the game.
  • QB play: Brian St. Pierre was the QB... need I say more? Andrew Luck can't get here soon enough.
SCHNOCKERED DYNASTY
Team Name: The Sofa King Awesomes
Team Record: 2-10 (finally, a win!)

In an interesting twist on the schedule, we played two games this week in this league. I went 1-1, but that's pretty good considering how poor this team has been doing. Let's focus on the game I won. I won by a six point margin, but put up an impressive 150 points. I'm playing spoiler in this league, but I'm optimistic for the future. I have some nice pieces in place, including Arrelious Benn, Demaryius Thomas and the receiving tandem of Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Smith. I need more running back depth and youth, but I'll address that in the offseason. Some owners in this league are so unresponsive to trades. It's quite frustrating.

Best Performer: RB Fred Jackson, Buffalo Bills

34 points last week and 27 points this week? Wow, great job by Freddy Jackson, who has really given this team a lift recently. Spiller is out for a while, so Jackson has assumed the sole ball carrying role for the Bills. I thought he was in for a rough day after the Bills went down early, but Jackson and this offense roared back. Keep it up, Freddy.

BLACK AND BLUE IDP DYNASTY
Team Name: The Wet Bandits
Team Record: 8-3

What a huge win this week for me in this league. I won 287-251, but the margin of victory wasn't that important to me. It was all about getting back on track after a two game losing streak. I'm hoping I can still take the #1 seed and get that bye in the playoffs. It's crucial. If I win this league, I'll win 350 dollars. Not to be sniffed at, let me tell you.

Best Performer: QB Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

Yes, Drew! A 39 point game! That's the kind of game I've been expecting from you. Coming off the bye, the Saints walloped Seattle and Brees went crazy. Breesus Christ wins the award this week and I hope he performs like this down the stretch, starting this week on Thanksgiving in Dallas.

DYNASTYGUYS IDP CHARTER LEAGUE
Team Name: Puntzilla's Barnstormers
Team Record: 8-4

My 300 point effort was the high score of the week in the league, so I would have beaten anybody. It's great to get another win closer to the playoffs in this league. I'm still two games ahead in my division and my last three games are all in-division games, so I have a chance to pull away. I just hope my boys can keep producing big games like this one.

Best Performer: WR Greg Jennings, Green Bay Packers

Jennings' 7-152-3 line was tremendous and it gave me 40 points, probably one of the highest totals I'll see from a single player in a single week for a while. Jennings was simply on fire against the Vikings and Rodgers is finding him often now. I hope he keeps it up down the stretch. My WR trio of Fitz, Jennings and Bryant (and Santana Moss as a flex) is unbelievable. No headaches at WR, that's for sure.

And so we are down to the final few games of the fantasy football season, in the regular season at least. I went 3-0 this week, so I couldn't be happier. If only my Panthers were better... you can't have it every way. It's going to be an exciting finish to the year as I aim for the #1 seed in one league, a high seed in another league and a first overall pick in the last league.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment