Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fantasy Football: My Dynasties Through Week 10

So despite a 31-16 loss to the Bucs this week for my Panthers, I'm not hugely disappointed. The reason for that is twofold; we're looking more and more likely to have the 1st pick in the draft thanks to a Buffalo win and the fact that we were actually quite competitive throughout the game despite a sleuth of injuries. So before I get into my dynasty teams' fortunes this week, here are three positives and three negatives from the game.

Positives (+)
  • Mike Goodson: He ran really hard and topped 100 rushing yards on 23 carries. I think the front office will have an easier time letting D-Will go if Goody keeps playing like he did Sunday. Tyrell Sutton is also a very good back who just hasn't had much of an opportunity yet.
  • Jimmy Clausen: Believe it or not, Clausen looked like a real NFL quarterback out there. He was sharp with his reads, he didn't look overwhelmed like in previous games and he delivered some nice balls, including a beautiful downfield pass to Steve Smith. The learning curve for QBs is steeper than steep, but Clausen took a step forward.
  • Steve Smith's passion: Smitty and Bucs CB Aqib Talib don't get on very well. When Talib smashed into the back of Clausen deliberately after a failed QB sneak, Smitty took exception to that and stood up for his QB. Sure, he got flagged, but it's nice to see that kind of fire from Smith.
Negatives (-)
  • Rush defense: Blount force trauma absolutely killed us on the ground... we have to stiffen up that part of our defense big time.
  • Not capitalising on red zone chances: Too many field goals... we could have won this game had we scored TDs in the red zone.
Now onto my dynasty leagues!

SCHNOCKERED DYNASTY
Team Name: The Sofa King Awesomes
Team Record: 1-9 (finally, a win!)

It's been a long time coming, folks, but finally I've managed to register my first win in Schnockered Dynasty of the season, beating a 6-3 team as well. I won with my highest points total of the season, 163-130. Take that! It felt good, I'm not gonna lie. So I've got a win, and that's great, but I just realised the rather unfair system that operates in this league when it comes to rookie draft picks. It's kind of a lottery system for the first six picks amongst the worst six teams, but the team with the worst record has the best chance of getting the first pick. I guess it's in place to prevent teams from tanking i.e. losing on purpose.

I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. It's so important to maintain the competitiveness.

Best Performer: RB Fred Jackson, Buffalo Bills

Jackson scored a massive 34 points for me against the Detroit Lions. He had touchdowns rushing and receiving and amassed 133 rushing yards. C.J. Spiller is also going to be out a while with an injury, so this is Jackson's gig now. Let's hope he can lead me to more wins in the last few games. Take a bow, son. Take a bow.

BLACK AND BLUE IDP DYNASTY
Team Name: The Wet Bandits
Team Record: 7-3 (and on a losing streak, unfortunately)

I started really hot in this league but have tailed off in the last few weeks, yet I still find myself leading my division and tied for the best record in the league. I guess what I'm saying is that I thought I would be more dominant. I lost this week to the highest scoring team in the league, 356-206. That 206 points irks me a little bit. Sure, I didn't have my strongest outing and Brees was on bye, but it concerns me. This league operates a sort of all-play format in the last couple of weeks to determine the champion, so I'll need to maximise the points in my lineup to win it all.

Best Performer: DE Jared Allen, Minnesota Vikings

A 19 point outing from Jared Allen was the highlight for my team this week. When 19 points is the best you can do, that's not very good. I thought Allen would register more than just a single sack against the porous Bears offensive line, but he played well enough not to warrant any concern.


DYNASTYGUYS IDP CHARTER LEAGUE
Team Name: Puntzilla's Barnstormers
Team Record: 7-4

I'm really happy about my 251-195 win this week, because my division rivals are starting to creep up on me a little bit. This win gives me a two game cushion in the division, with all of my division rivals still on my schedule. I'm especially looking forward to Week 13, a week in which every team in the league plays two games, meaning you have to put up a big score to get those two priceless wins that could be the difference in playoff seeding. Even with four games to go, I'm pretty confident that I'll be the winner of my division. I really love this league and it would mean a lot personally if I did well in such a competitive setting.

Best Performer: DE Jared Allen, Minnesota Vikings

Yes, that's right! Jared Allen was my high scorer in this league too with 22 points. I hitched my wagon to him in both of the startup drafts in these leagues, and I feel like it's a good investment to make. Allen's 23 point effort is more like what I envisaged at the start of the season. I just hope he can keep it up because sacks are so valuable in this league. One sack = 8 points! That's good stuff.

So that's it for my leagues update after Week 10! Let's hope I can keep it up and make the playoffs in two of the leagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment