Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fantasy Football: My Dynasties Through Week 6

The bye weeks gauntlet continues with a fury over the next few weeks, with six teams on bye in Week 8. The depth of rosters are tested during this time, and my rosters will have to be ready to weather the storm as we approach crunch time in fantasy football.

Week 6 is in the books, and what a week of games it turned out to be. There were a lot of close, tightly fought contests that I really enjoyed watching, especially BAL/NE and MIA/GB. My Panthers were on a bye, so they didn't rack up another loss this week (yippee!).

Here are the updates on my dynasty teams after Week 6:

SCHNOCKERED DYNASTY
Team Name: The Sofa King Awesomes
Team Record: 0-6
Week 5 result: Lost 125-115 to Bruiser

Even though I faced an 0-5 team this week, I couldn't quite get the job done. On Sunday evening, I'm sitting by my laptop watching Deion Branch gaining points on my bench and I am crying inside. I just can't buy a win in this league. Footballguys.com expert Matt Waldman informs me that he'll be posting an article this week on how to cope with being winless and rebuilding at this point in the season. I look forward to that perking me up somewhat.

I mean, I can't be too disappointed. I came into 2010 knowing that this team wouldn't amount to much or be a playoff contender, but I've been unlucky with some of my losses. To put that into perspective, the lowest scoring team in the league is 2-4.

This week I'm hoping to acquire waiver wire darling Danario Alexander since I'm blessed with having the first priority on waivers, the only silver lining to being 0-6. Alexander's NFL debut last week caught a lot of people's attention, and with Bradford losing Clayton for the year, we could see D-Al (my new nickname for him) take on a big role.

My outlook for the rest of the season is grim, but I'll keep fighting and I'll pick up a few wins along the way. I just need to get a few breaks here and there.

BLACK AND BLUE IDP DYNASTY
Team Name: The Wet Bandits
Team Record: 6-0
Week 5 result: Won 254-250 over Titletown Favres

When you win games that by all rights you shouldn't have won, you know things are going well for you. That happened for me this week in Black and Blue. I was nothing short of overjoyed when I opened my emails today to find the final scores of the games and there I was, a four point winner and still perfect on the season.

A big effort from Titans' defenders Stephen Tulloch and Alterraun Verner - a rookie CB who has been playing lights out - saved the day for me. I love it when a game comes down to MNF. Thankfully, both players were able to get the job done. Honourable mention must also go to DT Tyson Alualu of the Jags, who has been a great start in the DT slot for me this season.

I think this is the best start I've ever made to a season in fantasy football before, and I couldn't be happier right now. I think my team has a lot of talent and I would be disappointed if I didn't make the playoffs at this point. I'm shooting for the number one seed, of course. :)

May the wins keep rolling during these bye weeks!

DYNASTYGUYS IDP CHARTER LEAGUE
Team Name: Puntzilla's Barnstormers
Team Record: 4-3
Week 5 result: Lost 310-230... big margin, in other words

I wrote an article for the league page this week which basically said that the winner of this game would get to go on a date with the lovely Evangeline Lilly

Of course it was a joke, but it added intrigue to the matchup. Rick Keller was a guy I would have been proud to beat because he put together a really good team top to bottom in the draft and leading up to the season. I had some disappointing days from guys I could usually count on, and as a result I wasn't able to reach the quota I needed - around 300 points - to get the W. Congratulations to Rick on the win. I expect to see him in contention all year.

So as I try to imagine what it would be like to get a night alone with Evangeline, I'm also looking forward with optimism in this league. I'm 4-3! All hope is not lost. I'm still tied for top of my division and have a two game lead over my nearest rivals. I just need to get back to racking up the points like I have been in previous weeks. More often than not, that'll lead to a victory.

I'll have to put Nick Barnett on IR now, which brings up some concerns at LB, but I should have sufficient depth to cover his absence. Mathias Kiwanuka, get that neck checked out so we have a clearer picture of your situation too!

And that'll be it for my dynasty leagues update post-Week 5. I hope you enjoyed reading and can relate to some of my thoughts/stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment