Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fantasy Football: My Dynasties Through Week 5

Well, well, well... it's been a while on this blog since I've actually addressed my dynasty fantasy football teams, hasn't it? It's something I'm very passionate about, and after five weeks of the season it's time to dust them off and give you all the update.

Dynasty fantasy football is the best way to play fantasy football, hands down. The strategy of trading future draft picks, building with one eye on the future, going all in to win now and scouting the rookie prospects as early as January are just some of the many enticing aspects of this type of fantasy football. I love it, and what follows is my summary of how I have been faring in my three leagues so far this season.

SCHNOCKERED DYNASTY
Team Name: The Sofa King Awesomes
Team Record: 0-5

I didn't expect much from this league from the beginning of this season, but to be 0-5 is just cruel. My team may need work, but it isn't that bad. The problem starts with scoring - at just 487 points through five weeks of play, I am the lowest scoring team in the league. Not good enough.

This team is firmly in rebuilding mode, and that presents a number of challenges. I've done my research and gotten good advice from owners who have successfully rebuilt a team before from scratch, and I'm in the process of making some moves to acquire future draft picks.

Last week I made a trade to acquire a 2011 2nd round pick and a 2012 2nd round pick. My new policy is to not accept anything lower than a 2nd in future. Otherwise it's just pot luck in terms of who you might draft. So that leaves me with flexibility in the upcoming drafts.

And while we're talking about the upcoming drafts, the whole labour situation in the NFL right now will really impact fantasy football. I fully expect there to be a lockout and that some games will not happen early in 2011, so fantasy football owners have to take account of it. Perhaps the biggest problem will be for the rookie class of 2011. Imagine you're eligible to apply for the NFL Draft in your junior year. You figure that you may not even get to play in your first year in the league because of the labor situation. Would you leave for the NFL or stay in your familiar setting i.e. your college campus where you are guaranteed to play one more year?

Yeah, I like option two.

That will affect rookie drafts too, with a lot more talent on offer in 2012. Everyone knows that dynasty is all about acquiring talent for your team, hence why I'm making offers to get 2012 draft picks too. A shark move if I do say so myself.

What's wrong with this team?

Well, it all starts with my running back situation. It's ugly. Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch are my anchors, and that isn't saying much. The Lynch to Seattle trade has helped somewhat, but I would be willing to deal him if the right offer came along. My WR corps is well balanced, but young in spots. I have both Demaryius Thomas (who I took with the 11th overall pick last year in our rookie draft) and Arrelious Benn, who I managed to swing a trade for. I also have the very talented rookie Emmanuel Sanders, who I am sitting on until he gets his chance in Pittsburgh.

Needless to say, the main problem is at RB, and if I end up with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 rookie draft, I'm probably going with a RB.

Better times are ahead if I continue to make solid roster moves and continue to rebuild, but patience is the key here.

BLACK AND BLUE IDP DYNASTY
Team Name: The Wet Bandits
Team Record: 5-0

If Schnockered Dynasty is bad, B+B is amazing in comparison. I am simply on fire in this league. IDP dynasty is by far the best way to play fantasy football. I'm a fan of the defensive side of the ball anyway, so it's a pleasure to participate. I'm the top scorer in the league with 1441.97 points through five weeks, so I'm flying high.

MVP: Jahvid Best/Matt Forte

Both players have been great for me so far. I had doubts about taking Matt Forte, but he continued to drop in the draft amidst speculation that Chester Taylor would eat into his carries. As the inimitable Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast, my friend". Great to have them both on this team.

What more can I say? I'm spoiled for choice at the LB position and I have the dynamic duo at DE of Tuck and Allen.

My prediction now: if this team doesn't make the playoffs, then something is seriously wrong with the world. Incidentally, it would be my first playoff appearance in fantasy football.

DYNASTYGUYS IDP CHARTER LEAGUE
Team Name: Puntzilla's Barnstormers
Team Record: 4-2

This league is by far my favourite league. The cast of characters in the league is great, and I get on well with them all. I'm especially glad that the great Sigmund Bloom is a part of the league.

As for my team, I'm pleased with how I've started, but the challenge continues in this league. There are a lot of very astute owners who make good waiver wire pickups. My WR corps has been the highlight of this team. I have Fitzgerald, Jennings, Dez Bryant and Santana Moss as my starting four, with Derrick Mason as my primary backup. Not too bad, eh?

LB has become a concern with the loss of Nick Barnett long term. I also lost CB Cedric Griffin to another ACL tear this week (grrr).

Despite the setbacks, I'm feeling confident that I can stay very competitive in this league and hopefully win my division. A new owner has just come in to replace an old one who was in my division, so with that the level of competition increases. It's going to be exciting.

It's the league I want to succeed in most, so I'm going to put everything into it.

That's it for the league update. I may come back next week and give you a summary of my games, but it's more likely to be in a couple of weeks when the playoff picture begins to form in each league.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment