Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Traffic Road

Tuesday brought more snow. Snow, snow, and more snow. Yes, repetition helps you remember things usually, but in this case its purpose is purely for emphasis. Today was, quite simply, chaos.

For most people the chaos took the shape of massive delays in traffic when commuting, but there were a couple of accidents around the country too due to the icy roads. It's unfortunate to see that kind of thing. The contrast between kids enjoying themselves making snowmen and people in their cars on the icy roads is pretty stark.

So how did I spend this crazy snow day? Well, it started with a 7am alarm call. It wasn't as cold as I thought when I got up. I just wrapped up warm and made sure to take baby steps as I walked to the bus, which came quickly enough. The first lecture was painful, with organic chemistry nerd Enda Bergin (lecturer) being methodical as always. I mean, the guy has to be a robot. He simply has shown no deviation from the norm since he started his course last month. Plus, that really annoying smart organic chemistry guy always goes up to ask him questions at the end. Suck up, I think so!

The other two lectures went fine. They were actually more interesting than usual. I didn't go to Analytical Chemistry because, quite frankly, it's a little dull. It's all maths. Not really my cup of tea.

The afternoon was just John and I working on our lab report in the computer rooms. Despite a little confusion on both sides, we finally got it ironed out.

Then it began...

The snow fell, the paths became slushy and the skies turned a pinkish-red.

Yep, the fun began around 3:45pm when John and I got on the 15 bus, expecting to beat the rush hour traffic. We didn't know that we would be stuck on the bus for about 90 minutes. We were on the road of Terenure College for about 45 minutes, no joke. We decided to jump off the bus. While on the bus, we made a little game up, sort of a Big Brother mockery. It's called Big Busser. Basically, a bunch of people are put on a bus and forced to live with each other. The last remaining person on the bus is the proud winner of one million euro! We had a laugh about that one. It was a good idea at the time.

John had to pee and I was getting just as frustrated as him on the bus, moving about two inches every ten minutes (no exaggeration), so we got off the bus, thus giving up our shot to win a million. What were we thinking?! No, seriously, we had to. It was so frickin' boring!

The road we got stuck on will forever be known as Traffic Road. John made the name, hence the lack of originality. Hey, I'm just playing! :)

So we walked and we walked some more. The slush was all over the place, and we opted for the grass route to avoid any chance of slipping. Safety first, people. Coming into Templeogue Village I came up with the idea of getting some chips at Silvio's. We had to wait a good ten minutes for them, but boy were they worth the wait. 2.50 is a little expensive for a bag of chips, but these were quality. Nice job, Silvio's.

So our journey continued, chip bag in one hand, and eventually came to a clearing. A small dog approached us and began talking about drugs. It was that dog from the TV. You know, the one that tells people to talk to Frank about drugs.

Nah, I'm kidding. We did continue walking and eventually got home, a whole 3 hours after we had left Trinity. Now, if that isn't a great journey, I don't know what is. Some stupid kids tried to pelt us with snowballs as we walked back, but they failed miserably.

"Epic fail!" John exclaimed as he taunted the kids and talked about how in his day, kids hit the target with snowballs.

We parted ways at the corner like always, but I think we learned something today. We learned that stupidly long bus journeys sometimes turn into fun, chip-eating treks into the unknown. I guess it's snow wonder - PUN~! - that I feel so comfortable now sitting in my warm, snug sitting room, writing this blog for all of you.

What a bizarre day it was. Oh, would you look at that! It's lab day tomorrow. I look forward to it, although there is some talk of this Fees protest causing the labs to be cancelled. I don't know if it'll happen, though, as it would royally screw up the timetable.

That's it from me, a snowed under David Larkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment