Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Super Bowl XLV, Life Lessons and Job Hunts

Welcome back to the blog.

We're going to take the blog many directions today. You might say it's going to be a chameleon blog. Since my last entry there have been several interesting developments in my life, none of which incidentally are getting a job. How unfortunate... We start the blog as always with the latest from the world of pro football, quite possibly (ah, let's be honest, definitely) my favourite thing in the whole world.

1. Football News

The 45th Super Bowl is set at last, and man does it look like a tantalising one. The Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers will contest it. Both teams had very different paths to the dance, the Packers having the tougher road. Green Bay defeated three pretty good football teams (Philadelphia, Atlanta, Chicago) on the road and made it look comfortable for the most part. Pittsburgh just did what they always do. Success is in their blood. They defeated arch rivals Baltimore and budding rivals New York Jets to reach Dallas.

I want to devote a paragraph to a guy many of you know as Aaron Rodgers because... well, it's his name. Look, Rodgers has had his critics over the past few years since taking over as starter from perhaps the biggest shadow in sports history, Brett "Do Me a Favour" Favre. He had to sit and be patient for a time, but GM Ted Thompson knew what he had in Rodgers and anointed him the starter. It took the former Cal Bear some time, but he has taken the Pack to the Super Bowl after three seasons as a starter. Rodgers will go to more big games, people. He has it in his blood. His performance against Atlanta was simply incredible. He sliced up the Atlanta defense like a surgeon. The game against Chicago wasn't as convincing, but the Bears offense gave the Pack little to be concerned about even when Jay Cutler was in the game.

Let's just say I have a very good feeling about Green Bay in the Super Bowl. I'll have more thoughts on the game as the date approaches, but for now I think we all need to bow down to the greatness that is Aaron Rodgers.

2. The Job Front

The job front is quiet right now. I find that with these things you just have to approach it with the right attitude and then things will flow from there. I went down to a local shopping center today to submit some CVs. Some shops simply didn't take them. In a lot of cases, no staff can be hired because of the current economic climate. I won't claim to understand the nuances of running a country, but clearly we as a nation took some terrible missteps along the way. It will take time to get out of the mess we made ourselves - something I like to compare to soiling sheets in a bed - but we will do it. We may be a little reckless at times, but we're a resilient people.

I'm starting to consider other options, like perhaps doing a Masters here in Dublin. My best friend has managed to secure a Masters that he thinks he will enjoy. I need to find something I will enjoy. That is the great challenge. Until I have more to say on this issue, I'll leave it at that. It goes without saying that I have a long road ahead of me.

3. Life Lessons with Dave

Remember that even when things are difficult, keeping your life in perspective is the most important thing to do. Assignments? No problem. Missed a bus? Come on, quit whining. No credit? It could be a lot worse.

That's kind of my phrase - "It could be a lot worse". I know it appears to a rather general statement, but I believe it and it is all part of my positive makeup as a person. And that is why I will not let this job search get me down, I will rise to the occasion and do the absolute best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment