Friday, January 28, 2011

Boogie Night for Dave

What was supposed to be a quiet night in on the sofa probably playing a bit too much Call of Duty: Black Ops turned into an evening of entertainment courtesy of the Strictly Come Dancing live tour. Held in the O2 here in Dublin, I actually bought two tickets for my parents as a Christmas present. When the day finally arrived and I had no plans to speak of, they kindly asked me to come along. I figured, what the hell. I wasn't exactly going to be having a riveting time at home alone.

Well, I'll tell you something folks: it turned out to be one of the most entertaining shows I've ever been to. Going to see Chicago in the West End of London was a treat, but this show tonight was something special. The arena was buzzing with somewhere in the region of 9,500 fans of the fancy footwork displays on show from both the professional dancers and the celebrities, all of whom could be called veterans of the dancefloor after several months of intense training courtesy of their professional courterparts.

The show itself lasted about two and a half hours, with Zoe Ball hosting the event. I must say, Ms. Ball (or is it Mrs. Ball?) looked rather lovely although her sparkling dresses - she changed her dress at least a couple of times - were slightly blinding at times. I'm no dancing expert, but it's the kind of show that is easy to enjoy to those with an untrained eye. Entertainment was the name of the game, with contestants continuously commenting on how amazing the crowd here in Dublin was. Sometimes it's hard to know where sincerity ends and playing to the audience begins. Nevertheless, I can't take anything away from them after all the hard work that went into putting on such a great spectacle.

A favourite of mine is Aliona Vilani, a hot Russian seductress who has basically a perfect body. Seriously, I couldn't design a woman better. And you know, that segues nicely into my next point. The glitz and glamour of the dancing is what the women go for, but for us red blooded males it's all about the ladies. Oh yes, gentlemen. If you want to get involved with a hot chica, look no further than dance classes. I know not every woman you dance with is going to be a looker, but the crew on this tour were all hotties. Aliona is the highlight for me, and here is a picture of her to convince you of my point.

Just awesome, isn't she? (Forgot that guy with her...)

Anyway, it was a simply magnificent night that both my parents thoroughly enjoyed. It kind of makes me want to try this whole dancing thing, but then I remember I have no money and no job and hence taking on new hobbies is a tad difficult.

I'm hoping to apply for the diploma in Sports Journalism at the Independent Colleges in the city centre. That will knock me back a good €900 but I think it'll be worth it, to be honest. You have to get your feet wet in the industry before you can fully commit to it. My path isn't yet determined, but I'm confident that with hard work and dedication - like these dancers showed tonight for the adoring audience - I'll find my niche in this thing we call life and be happy.

After all, being happy is what life is all about. So go now, my readers, and smile. The next stranger you see in the street, shoot them your pearly whites (make sure you've brushed!). I hope you've enjoyed reading about my boogie night experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment