Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Future, fantasy and fun...



Good morning world!




It's a wet, dreary day here in Dublin, but that won't get my mood down. Over here we're used to relentlessly bad and moreover unpredictable weather. So yesterday I talked a little bit about Julius Peppers' future with the Panthers. A quick update on that one: Panthers GM Marty Hurney released a statement yesterday saying something along the lines of "nothing is final yet" as regards Peppers. No need to push panic buttons yet.




So today I wanted to briefly share with you my thoughts on the transition that people my age here in Ireland will be going through very soon. What I refer to is taking the next step in our life journey - college to the working world. It's the in vogue topic in our year right now. Every day chatter about the future dominates lecture theatres and the famous coffee place on campus, Java City. My feelings on the whole issue are clear enough; do what you like to do. Being in chemistry, an outsider might expect that every single one of us would logically go into an area like drug design or something like that. Not the case at all. As much as 50% of our year from what I have heard are considering a year out and going straight into the working world.




My point in all of this is not to be afraid of this inevitable transition, but at the same time be prepared yourself to make it. I'm currently researching a few companies now that I would like to work for. Unfortunately most of the larger companies had an unusually early application deadline (we're talking October 2009!) and hence I can't apply for them. A question I have for them is why have your deadline at a point when most people have no clue what their future holds?




And I guess that's it right there. Uncertainty. The feeling of not knowing what comes next is universally something humans dread. It's exciting too, however, and you need to embrace it. We as college students are so used to the day to day grind of lectures and study. Having a greater degree of freedom can be a good thing. And trust me, we will all find our niche in life. There is a place for all of us. You just need to work for it. I'll end this thought by sharing a phrase with you that I have always believed in to be true:




"Nothing in this life that's worth having comes easy."




***




Those three stars mean a change of topic. This day may turn out to be the busiest one I have in quite a while. Okay, first of all I've got a lecture at 9am. Then I intend to not go to the 10am because I am attending a careers talk at 11am which will require a lot of walking to get to. I don't have faith that Mike Lyons will finish his lecture at 10:40 to allow me the right amount of time to get there. Then comes a few hours off, which will most likely be filled with study. I've got plans to go out to Pizza Hut for a traditional meal with my good friends John, Roisin and Martina. What a great group. We've been going to Pizza Hut for years now as a quartet. Cookie dough dessert? Yes puh-lease!




After the meal, I'm off home for a movie. It's the Book of Eli. I've heard mixed reviews, so I reckon I'll give it a shot.




***




Okay, time for some quick fantasy football thoughts. In my dynasty league I was seriously lacking at RB in 2009, so since the end of my disappointing 5-9 season in which I had 6 players on IR I've been trying to strengthen. I've made a few trade offers, most of which have fallen on deaf ears or have been rejected (or I received a ridiculous counter offer which you would have to be high to accept!). At any rate, it's hard to get deals done in the offseason when people don't log on.




I offered a trade to a guy yesterday:




I give RB Ronnie Brown, WR Pierre Garcon and a 2nd round 2010 rookie draft pick


He gives RB Darren McFadden, WR Brian Robiskie and a 1st round 2010 rookie draft pick




Notice I've bolded his draft pick. The reason is that he holds a top 5 pick. I also hold a top five pick due to my finish last year. I've got some good pieces on my team and I'm not far away from being a contender, especially when you consider a division was won last year with a 7-7 record! So I'm sticking my neck out and offloading Brown, who I don't trust to stay healthy after two knee surgeries; and Garcon, who has been tremendous for the Colts in their Super Bowl run, to try to get into the top five picks to acquire two of the best rookies in the class. Preferably that would be the top two rookie running backs:




C.J Spiller (shown on the left) is a speed demon in the mold of the NFL's offensive MVP in 2009 Chris Johnson. He doesn't have the best inside running mentality, but his big play potential is off the charts.
Jonathan Dwyer (shown on the right) has been compared to Tim Hightower.
Scouts have differing opinions of him as he came out of the option offense at
Georgia Tech. He is one of the guys I am looking at, but I am likely to take the best player available at any rate.
So that's the trade! I hope the guy accepts it. I'll keep you posted.
That's it for today! It was a bumper edition, but hey, you deserve it. Please leave comments.
Later!


No comments:

Post a Comment